Friday, August 1, 2008

Jakarta smells...

I'm not being mean; it's just the truth. There is so much pollution and there are people selling food in the streets and the sewage system is really bad. So it smells here. It was actually the first thing I noticed when I arrived, but I didn't want to say anything. I can't hold it in anymore. My apartment smells.

When I wake up in the morning, my apartment smells.

The mall where I work (yes, in a mall) smells.

When I walk home from being dropped off 1/2 mile (how many km's is that??!@?!) from home because my cab driver doesn't understand the address No. Ninety-nine (Smelan booloo smelan), the air smells.

When I get home from work, my apartment smells.

The gym smells. Maybe that's normal.

I can't really describe it to you but I can try...it's a mix of sulfur, fried (as in, really really over fried and dripping oil) food, BO, bus exhaust, mold, backed up gutters and rotting fruit. Lovely. So...to all my favorite friends, if I smell like Jakarta the next time I see you in February, please don't hold it against me.

Oh yeah, I was also just asked if I was planning on staying longer than 6 months...

6 comments:

Becky said...

Poor stink Liz. I still love you. River still loves you. He may even love you more!!

Becky said...

Dear Aunt Liz,
I miss you; when are you coming over? It was my birthday yesterday. My mom gave me extra turkey for breakfast (turkey for a turkey, she says) and I got some new toys. I can't wait for you to come over and we can play. My dad doesn't let me bite his feet anymore, and Zia just steps on me.

Love,
Your Nephew

Becky said...

Aunt Liz,

I didn't get to vote, my mom won't let me. I just want you to know that if you smell a lot I will probably like you a little bit more.

Liz Roche said...

Dear Neph,

I miss you so much. I will try to bring you some Asian toys to play with when I come home. My Little Kitty Turkey, I miss you and your mom and your dad and your sister a whole bunch! So much that I will even let you play with my feet the next time I come over! Keep Zia in line for me! Remember, as the oldest sibling, you have a responisibility to keep her in check. I love you, little chubby neph. And don't worry, I will smell a WHOLE LOT.

Becky said...

HI AUNT LIZ ITS ZIA YOUR FAVORITE NIECE HOW ARE YOU DOING I AM GOOD IT WAS RIVER'S BIRTHDAY YESTERDAY HE GOT A NEW TOY IT IS A BANANA STUFFED WITH CATNIP AND HE LETS ME PLAY WITH IT BUT MY MOM TOOK IT AWAY EVEN THOUGH RIVER SAID I COULD PLAY WITH IT BUT I KNOW WHERE IT IS SO WHEN YOU COME OVER I'LL GET IT ITS ON TOP OF THE COUNTER AND I CAN JUMP UP THERE SO DON'T WORRY I WILL SHOW YOU SOMETIMES I SLEEP ON YOUR BED TO KEEP IT WARM I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND GUESS WHAT EVEN THOUGH IT ISN'T MY BIRTHDAY MY MOM AND DAD GOT ME A TREADMILL TO HELP ME GET RID OF MY ENERGIES I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS BUT I THINK IT WILL BE FUN I LOVE TO HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU AUNT LIZ I WANT YOU TO COME HOME NOW SO I CAN SMELL I MEAN SEE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz Roche said...

Dear Zia,

Thank you SO much for posting on my site! You are SO lucky to have a brother who shares so much with you! (especially since he is a cat...Did your mom tell you that yet?) Lucky Duck Dog! Have you tried your new treadmill yet? It is sure to help you be a healthy pup! Do you know any new tricks? I can't wait to see you! Do you know how old you will be then? Have a fun day - I LOVE YOU!