Sunday, August 10, 2008

I was a tourist attraction...

So here in Jakarta there is a term for white person, which is boolay. A boolay can be from Europe, America, wherever, as long as they are white. Apparently, there is no judgement or stigma attached to the term.

Yesterday I went to the National Monument (Monas), the Puppet Museum and another museum (can't remember the name, but still very neat). Everywhere I walked, there were whispers of "boolay, boolay..." At the Monas, a man asked me to take a picture of him and his girlfriend (so I thought) so I went to reach for the camera. Instead, the woman stood next to me and the man took a picture of us. Interesting. One man on a bus started waving to me - "Hi boolay! Hi boolay!" Uh, hi.

I did get to ride on the busway. The busway is a part of the street that only buses are supposed to drive on, though a lot of motorcyclists use it. The bus was pretty clean and not too much different than the CTA buses. There is an operator on the bus that allows only a certain number of people on at each stop. It cost 3,500 rupiahs, which is about $0.40.

So I am learning more and more about Jakarta, which is pretty cool. It's been 3 1/2 weeks since I first arrived. I am not about to call it home, but so far, its not so bad.

4 comments:

Becky said...

HI AUNT LIZ I WANT TO BE A BOOLAY

LOVE,
ZIA

Becky said...

Hi!!! Zia apparently loves your blog, she wants to write on it all the time. She also has voted many times for you to come home; she wants to show you how fast she can run. Could you imagine if we were both in Jakarta?! It would be boolayboolay! :) I miss you!!! Sounds like everything is going sooo well, I am so glad!!!!
I LOVE YOU!

dad said...

boolay rhymes with hooray...which is for only 5 months to go

thought jakarta was stinking????

told you you would get used to it!!

Liz Roche said...

Jakarta IS stinky and is stinking in the sense that its not my favorite place! YAY for 5 months left! Hope it goes fast! Miss you so much!