Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Day In The Life...

I have been asked about my days here in Jakarta and I thought I would give you a snapshot.

7 a.m. - Wake up! Hurrying to get ready!

Take a bajaj to work (only $1!)

...10 minutes and I'm there!


8 a.m. - Teach Pilates Class! I love my job....it's early though.

9 a.m. Teach Pilates Class! I love my job. It's really hot in the studio right now because the sun is so bright!

10 a.m. - Teach Pilates Class! I still love my job...I need some coffee though.

11 a.m. - Private Pilates client! I love my job the most! One-on-one sessions are so much fun! My clients are a mix of local Indonesians and expats. Everyone is so interesting to me and I enjoy hearing their stories.



12:30 p.m. - Eat lunch - sometimes by myself or sometimes with Susan. Lunch is my main meal and I am starving after four hours of being active.

2-ish p.m. - Go to the gym, work out with Susan, get some reflexology (1 hour for $7!) or a pedicure (2 hours for $12!)

4 p.m. - Pilates client or class!

5 p.m. - Pilates client! Still loving my job...

6 p.m. - Pilates client!




7 p.m. - Time to go home! Or out for a drink!


Cast of Characters
Rani - The FIRST person I met in Jakarta, she is the Pilates studio manager. Rani's boyfriend lives in Detroit and we are crossing our fingers that she can get a visa to go visit the United States for the first time early 2009.

Yunie - Assistant Pilates studio manager. Yunie studied English in college and is originally from central Java.

Susan - my boss. Susan is originally from Singapore. She is great - she looks out for me constantly!

Kika - Indonesian girl who I met through a client. She is my movie-watching friend!

Lisa - Canadian girl who works across the mall from me in a chiropractic clinic. She has three cats that are great. She has lived in Jakarta for almost five years.

Lelsey - Another Canadian girl, I met Lesley through Lisa. Lesley works for an NGO doing micro-finance work. She adopted a dog and lives in home that has a pool and a yard and a maid and security guards and lots and lots of beige furniture.

Julie - Julie is a relatively new friend (yes, another Canadian!) and I met her through Lesley. She works for a PR firm and while I don't understand her job specifically, it sounds interesting and she knows tons about the local political system.

2 comments:

Becky said...

YAY! Sounds like the best day ever!!!!!

Unknown said...

thank you so much for sharing! it's great to know how you spend your days. Over in another country and still busy as ever! I love it!