Saturday, September 6, 2008

New Food

So many of you know that I am not the biggest foodie around and I would rather drink my dinner than eat it (hmmm, do I sound like an alcoholic when I phrase it that way? I do eat lunch...) but I have been trying to be a good sport in the spirit of learning a new culture and have tried some new things.

A couple days ago, I had this wonderful, spicy, tasty soup that had a fish head in it. Yes, I ate fish. Yes, I saw its eyes. I did not realize I was eating fish-head soup (not sure of the Indonesian translation, but I will work on that for you). I had lunch with a couple people from work at an authentic Indonesian restaurant. I did not participate in the ordering, which is fine as I would not have ordered fish-head soup. It was probably actually called whole-fish soup, as all the fish meat was still on its bones. However, the soup was AMAZING and I will likely eat it again. Besides fish, the soup had vegetables (don't even ask what kind...I am sure you can find them at the Asian grocery store in Chicago though), spices and I believe, lime. Oh yes, and of course, there was plenty of oil and/or butter. If a dish is not made with a pound of butter, sugar, oil or chili peppers, I don't think it can be considered authentic Indonesian.

Today, I had some red bean/coconut pudding. For those of you who know me well, YES I ATE BEANS. In the form of pudding, no less. It actually tasted good. Except for the bean skin. (which I politely stacked in the middle of my plate).

Last weekend, I ate Pizza Hut. Oh wait, that's from the US. Surprisingly, it tastes just like home!

Happy Eating!

No comments: